Monday, June 05, 2006

Personal news

Returned late last night from the Moonrock Horse Trials in Worland, Wyo.

Had a great time, but the 9-hour drive pulling horse trailers gets a little long for an old guy like me, and a semi-old guy like my horse, Bud

We had a horrible dressage test, which isn't surprising since both Bud and I hate dressage and we hadn't done enough work on it before the event. Even so, we did get in some good dressage work in the last couple weeks before the event, and I actually thought our test went better than I had feared. I thought we might end up in the middle of the pack of 30 beginner novice riders, but we were near the end. When I watched the video of the test filmed by a friend, it was clear the judge was fair and accurate with all of his remarks.

But that was Friday. Saturday was cross country, and there's no doubt how Bud and I feel about that. Let's Go!!

Even though it's been two years since we've done a full cross country course together, I knew he'd go well. He's been jumping great in the arena and staying sound. So when we took off out of the starting gate, it was just a matter of pointing him to the first jump and letting him go. But, even though he wanted to go at racetrack speed, he also listend to me, came back and collected before jumps when I asked him. And we cantered through the water with no hesitation. A grand time was had by all, or at least the two of us. We moved up from near the bottom of the pack to ninth place.

But on Sunday, before the stadium jumping, Bud's fetlocks on his forelegs were swollen and oozing yellow pus. It was very much like an allegic reaction he had to some shampoo last year, although that oozing was on his neck, by his mane.

The only thing I could think of was some brand-new galloping boots we used for the cross-country Saturday, neoprene, which I didn't wash before putting on him.

After several consultations with the on-site vet, and a couple of trot-outs in which he was clearly off with his right front, I decided to scratch from the stadium jumping, especially with nine hours of trailer time ahead of us.

We got home in good shape and he seems pretty well today, just a little puffiness around the fetlocks.

Once again, the people in Worland -- Teri and John Thurman and all of their volunteers -- put on a friendly and well-organized event. It's worth the long trip up there.

2 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 
At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home