Monday, May 22, 2006

Barbaro

No way I expected that my first post would be about an injured racehorse. If anything, I thought I might be writing about Barbaro's quest for the Triple Crown. But the events at the Preakness last Saturday changed that.

I can't add anything to the abundant news stories about Barbaro's injuries and his five-hour surgery. My own veterinarian is very good, and has performed some amazing surgery of his own, but nothing like this.

Two question for which I'm trying to find answers:

1. Did Barbaro's injuries stem from his first, premature break from the starting gate, or were they entirely due to his efforts on the second start with the rest of the field? I know a vet checked him after the first start, and declared him injury free. But it seems too much of a coincidence for the two events to be unrelated.

2. What does this surgery cost? Could anyone with a moderately valuable working horse -- jumper, reiner, roper, etc. -- afford it if they had a reasonable insurance policy on their horse?

More later.

Silver Spike

1 Comments:

At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home