Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Men vs. Women

A question:
Our group of riders and family members at Moonrock included males and females, who all shared in horse-care duties. Several times a girl or woman had to open a fresh bale of hay for the ponies. Each time, they grabbed another piece of baling twine and pulled it back and forth under the taut twine on the bale, using it as a sort of friction saw to cut the twine on the bale.
This is the same technique that my daughter used to use, even when I had an old hoof knife available right next to the hay stack for cutting the twine.
No guy who I know would use this technique except as an ultimate last resort, and even then it would be more likely to see a guy pull the twine off or attempt to break it with some other handy tool, say a rock or piece of wood.
But that's rarely necessary because a guy nearly always has a pocket knife or leatherman or similar tool with him. I usually have a big flip-out knife in the pocket of my jeans or carharts. But I don't feel fully dressed without a knife, so even when I'm in my office clothes for my desk job, I nearly always have a small pocket knife with me. And I always have a good knife when I'm riding (although not competing in boots and breeches) just in case a horse gets tangled up in somethin and I have to cut him or her free.
Why don't women carry knives when they're out working with their horses? Not just for cutting open hay bales but to deal with other emergencies?
My daughter, now 22, took a summer job as a crew leader working on backcountry trails in Washington state. One of the requirements for the job was that she have a good knife or all-purpose tool. She was very proud when she purchased her new Leatherman, and wondered if I was jealous (I was). I suspect she'll get used to having a tool like that with her, and keep it or something like it in her purse, even when she goes back to office work in the fall.
But maybe not. Maybe carrying knives and other weapons is primarily a guy thing -- a genetic disposition dating from our hunter-gatherer-protector days.
I won't get into a big discussion of guns, but I will note that I know several women who usually carry pistols with them in their vehicles when they take long trips or trips to areas they consider dangerous. But they don't seem to have the same fascination with their weapons that many men have.
An anthropologist could have a field day with this. In fact, I'm accepting grant money right now to prepare my own paper: "The X and Y chromosoms and their differing influence on techniques used to cut hay bale twine."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home