Sunday, October 26, 2008

The layoff

A number of things came together at roughly the same time to get me off this blog, at least temporarily.
No, it wasn't a "perfect storm" of events. That cliche has been so overused I think it should be scuttled and sent to the bottom of the deep.
But it was enough to put a halt to my blogging -- and other activities.
First, I suffered a back injury that required surgery. And there were complications after surgery that effectively sidelined me for six months.
I thought at one point that while I was laid up, it would be a good time to blog more, but I found I didn't want to write much about my horses when I wasn't able to do much with them. It also wasn't very comfortable sitting in front of my computer.
After six months, I wasn't fully recovered but I was at least ambulatory. Then I was hired to teach my first college class in journalism while continuing my full-time job as editorial page editor at our local newspaper. The time to prepare for the class, read and grade papers was much greater than I originally anticipated. So blogging again fell by the wayside.
Also, about three years ago, I began working on a book project. It's not directly related to horses but it actually began as a result of one of my wilderness horseback treks. It was progressing, slowly but steadily. But earlier this year a publisher expressed an interest in it (no guarantee they'll accept it, but at least they are interested). So suddenly, there was an impetus to speed up efforts on that project. I finished it and sent it off to the publisher two weeks ago.
Finally, there was the incident recorded below, in which my favorite horse -- quite simply, the best horse I have ever owned -- died following colic surgery.
Altogether, these events combined to push blogging to the back burner. I write this as an explanation for anyone who may be paying attention, as well as to make sure I understand why I let it slide for so long.
Enough navel gazing. I'll be back with regular posts about things equine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home