Sunday, June 18, 2006

Trail Time

Bud and I had a great ride with some friends in the high desert of Western Colorado yesterday. Unlike today (94 degrees) the temperature was in the mid-80s and there was a breeze.
A friend of mine, Pete,who is 6-foot-7 and weighs 275, rode my daughter's gelding Turk, who packed him around just fine.
Turk, who we raised from birth, is part quarter horse and part Missouri Fox Trotter, seven years old and he likes to wander. We call him Turk the Tourist, because he's always sight-seeing when we're trail riding -- looking around at everything and wandering off the trail if you let him. (Some friends with Missouri Fox Trotters told me that is typical of the breed.)
But Turk is a good guy on the trail, not prone to spooking or running away and very sure-footed. Pete is a very green rider, but he gets along well with Turk.
Bud was good. He just would have preferred a long gallop to a moderate walk, but he settled down when I told him to, and we had an enjoyable time.
Also accompanying us were my friend Alan, on his mustang-Morgan mare, Rita, and Pete's wife, Kimmer, on a friend's Paint gelding.
And one more: My son's Great Dane, Bo. We have temporary custody of Bo while my son is overseas, and he loves to go out riding with us. He can cover every bit as much ground as the horses if it's not too hot. (I had plenty of water in the saddlebags for him yesterday.)
All in all, it was a very nice way to spend Father's Day weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home