Saturday, December 20, 2008

Hard Times for horse groups

Confronting the current economic realities, the United States Eventing Association is making some cutbacks for the coming year.

I pay attention because I have been a member of the USEA for a number of years. My membership lapsed after I hurt my back and couldn't compete for more than a year. Then my eventing buddy, Dash, died, and I didn't have much interest. But it is a good organization and I plan to rejoin.

Among the sensible changes is eliminating the print edition of its omnibous, which had been mailed to members. Instead, it will be available solely online. Given the cost in printing and mailing, and the ease of online access, this seems like the only way to go. Major newspapers are moving in this direction. So should groups with their newsletters.

Other changes are listed at the group's Web site, http://useventing.com/

We all love our horses and horse competition. But in difficult economic times, recreational horse activities will be one thing that many people find necessary to give up. And even the professionals are likely to find it difficult to continue training and competing at the same pace as they have in the past.

I expect many other horse groups will have to make changes -- or are already making changes -- along the lines of what the USEA is doing.

Good for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home